Monday, March 14, 2011

Organization

With all this talk of community action, all I want to do is get up and get passionate about something! I feel like a huge theme that's been popping up in my life recently, from the CEL "Break the bubble!" event to Amcon. I'm trying to discover what I'm passionate about; perhaps it's education? So I think about taking Ed Psych next semester, but then what about genetics? Or what if health is what I'm really passionate about? I suppose this is something I should worry about to myself. All I know is that within all this discussion there's a push within me, wanting me to find something to get truly engaged in. Not just going to the hospital and changing bed linens, but becoming part of a group that is trying to change norms. But I digress...

Stout referenced being passionate about justice. While this is important, he seemed more concerned that groups were organized. That makes sense; what good is a ragtag group of people just yelling if they don't band together and find a way to make the change they are so vocal about. Hold officials responsible, work across lines- it's all a part of the democratic process. You have an obligation to be a valuable citizen through remaining aware.

It makes me wonder about how many citizens would be considered not valuable right now.

1 comment:

  1. Enich,

    Of course passion is good, but even that desire can become a sort of paralyzing perfectionism. That said, college is a place for considering options, so I don't think that you must discover this absolute passion in the next two days.

    LDL

    ReplyDelete