Friday, March 11, 2011

I know a guy who knows a guy/I hate movies.

I'm combining two topics that we covered in class today: Bonding social capital and isolation. We talked about how bonding social capital manifests itself in the crossover between communities. Our example was Marissa looking for a nursing job talking to me, and me having a theoretical uncle who works at Mayo to get her one. I feel like this is a sort of shallow example. Yes, it's the connections between people that eventually form social capital, but the connections need to be stronger. Like an environmentalist group teaming up with a group that provides low cost solar panels for small businesses. There need to be more, stronger bonds to generate the capital our society really needs to thrive.

As for movies, I am not a fan. I'm not saying I don't like movies themselves; they can be fantastic art forms, and I definitely have favorites (500 Days of Summer, Mean Creak, Fantastic Mr. Fox, Charlie Bartlett, and Dead Poet's Society included...) but I don't like what they do to groups of people. When you go into a movie with your friends, in essence, you're sitting in a dark room for 2.5 hours being silent. Yes, you can laugh together and whatnot, but imagine what else you could do for 2.5 hours? I suppose it's slightly different if you're watching it in the background at someone's house. I just think it's similar to how Putnam said TV started the move towards isolated individualism.

Basically this is me just wishing it was socially acceptable to talk to movies.

No comments:

Post a Comment