Thursday, October 7, 2010

Wild Animals

I was reading through White's "A True Picture", and there was something bothering me the whole time. It was his tone. Throughout the entire narrative it was if he was describing wild animals in their natural habitat. He observed every detail as if he were watching chimpanzees. The only emotional details he included would be to scorn the native population for valuing copper, or building boats differently than normal, or for not believing in the same one and only God. As it is a report for the queen I could understand, but I don't know... something about it irked me. It's as if by observation they seek to distance themselves. I know they did come in real contact with them, but observing every detail to interactions is no way to begin a friendship.

I could not get into the rest of the readings, at all. Hopefully our discussion tomorrow will help clear up some confusion.

No comments:

Post a Comment