Tuesday, October 5, 2010

One Breath

Last Saturday the Viking Choir sang in the Family Weekend concert, and if I do say so myself it was fantastic!
I'll have to give a little background on my vocal experience for this to make a lot of sense. I was told I had a good voice after I auditioned for the musical spring of my Junior year. I started taking voice lessons then and even tried auditioning for music majors at some schools. At St. Olaf I wasn't accepted, probably because I hadn't had any legitimate choir experience or music theory training and couldn't tell you where middle C on a piano is. So when I auditioned for Viking I was a little worried, but luckily I made it. And I am so happy that I did.
Being in a choir is just so fantastic! Together you make a wall of marvelous sound. The community is great and supports each other; if I loose my part I listen to the basses around me, or if I'm looking to have dinner I could have it with any of the other 93 guys and I'm sure all of them would be glad to join me. Besides loving the wonderful sound on Sunday, there was one moment where the entire choir took a deep breath at the same time, and you could hear the air moving into all of our lungs. It moved me, and was marvelous.

The Puritans talked about times in nature when we see fantastic splendor of God. In that moment in choir, I saw a moment of beauty in the universe. I felt free to continue producing harmonious sound. It was awesome, in the old sense of the word.

1 comment: