Tuesday, October 26, 2010

The Root Runs Deep

I decided it would be best to respond to DeAne's comment on my previous blog with this post. Basically, I was asked why the American Dream present in Franklin's time doesn't exist today.

I can't say I'm fully qualified to answer that question. My understanding of social changes in America since the 18th century is minimal. However, one trend I can point out is education. With increased knowledge, more and more jobs have been created using new information. Since the 1700's, careers have expanded from simple laborers and clergymen to include options like biomedical engineers, or computer programmers. Because these jobs require a more comprehensive understanding of complex topics, more education is necessary. Because they are more complex, they also offer a higher salary. A person needs a higher salary in order to move up in socioeconomic standing.
The issue comes in when, for most people, educational availability did not increase with the growth of knowledge. Certain populations of our country were never granted higher education due to enslavement or rural location, for example. Now, all-legally-must offered an education, but in poorly managed schools or within circumstances that prevent them from devoting much attention to schoolwork. Sure, they have access to certain low-end jobs, but they don't offer a livable wage, or a wage they can increase their economic standing in.

I firmly believe that if we reformed our educational system, the American dream that once existed would blossom into existence once again.

Any further causal questions I cannot answer; my knowledge on the matter is not deep enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment