Thursday, September 30, 2010

Little Ole Northfield

I grew up in Chicago all of my life and while I wasn't in the skyscrapery part, I was still a quick drive or train ride away from the loop. So I'd consider myself a city kid, even if the suburbs begin not too far from where my house is, and I live walking distance from three forest preserves. In Chapter 8 Lane discusses the American ideal of space, and how we seem to be in a constant struggle between finding freedom and feeling lost, and comfort and constriction. I would hardly consider my community constricting, but to some degree I've always been interested in that small town feel. The community he describes where it's impossible to walk anywhere because everyone offers you a ride is one I've sort of dreamed of living in. I've never experienced it in my neighborhood, so I thought Northfield might give me the chance. It's part of the reason I chose St. Olaf; I figured I could try small town life for a while (even if the campus is a microcity of its own) and see how it goes. So far, it's been in great. I'm excited to see where it takes me, and if I'll find the perfect medium Lane describes in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment