Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Glee- America in a Nutshell.

I'm just going to put this out there; I adore the television show "Glee." And while all of us watching it in the Hoyme lounge tonight may have joked about making a post about it, I am actually going to follow through, because I love it that much. The whole time I was wondering "How on earth and am I going to connect this to Amcon?" but I believe I have found a way!

Glee says more about the American value system than I have the willpower to type in one blog post. All of the characters on that show embody some sort of American high school stereotype. In essence it is nothing we haven't seen before- another teen drama with pregnant kids, on and off relationships and a gay teen. But it's somehow edgier; the music adds a whole new aspect and it's almost as if the show is saying "Yeah, we're another teen drama, but we've got music. What are you gonna do now?"

Despite its corniness I still think Glee challenges your average American teen. It tells them to speak out, to be themselves. To not be afraid of being the odd one out, and to follow your dreams! It's a challenge to the norm just because of its medium and because of its content. So yeah, it is another teen drama series. But it has music. Awesome music at that.

And that's all I have to say about that, since my friend needs his computer back.

2 comments:

  1. Enich, Good for you! you followed through and you've set yourself up with a dense-fact to consider throughout the program. Will "Glee" be up to the role? We'll see. Can you make a connection with the Puritans? How would Anne Hutchinson be received by these "average American teens"? The opportunities multiply . . . LDL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I'm not sure about making it my one and only dense fact. Though the fact they have new shows every week might make it easier. In relation to our current topic, I believe there are some fundamental similarities. The Puritans left England because of religious persecution. They decided to move to America in order to exercise their freedom to practice their religion without influence from the "devils" of the Anglican church. The "Puritan" glee-clubbers use their club as a city on a hill, because there they are free to exercise their right to sing (which I would call freedom of speech) and be themselves without persecution from the devils in the high school. And that, I'd say, is actually a fairly big similarity.

    ReplyDelete