Thursday, November 11, 2010

MORE Design!?

So after working on my intro to theater design project until pub safe kicked me out of the theater at 1, and then waking up at 9 and heading straight over there and working until class' beginning at 12:45 I think it's fair to say that I've had more than enough aspects of deisgn for one day.

Buuut of course, we just happen to start our section on architecture.
It's ok, I'll make the best of it. I can cross reference information from both sources!

In design we talked a lot about the visual aspects of architectural time periods so if I were to create a set for, let's say, a play set in rococo period I would be able to capture the essense of that imagery. There's an intersting contast between only capturing the visual information and incorporating that art form into functionality. An arch may look great on stage, but in real life it also is fantastic at supporting weight.

I was intrigued by the description of Holland Hall. All the terms I read in my design book came to life. It is a real piece that does more than just symbolize something, it serves as a functional space. The details add nuances that reflect the educational atmosphere while still standing up, letting in loads of light and displaying the nature of the college. It's real life!

1 comment: