Sunday, November 28, 2010

The Beginnings of the End

I don't think there'd be anywhere better than this blog to post our assignment for Monday!

I think a theme running through all my blogs is pretty obvious. I love talking about social injustices. I suppose it's a Debbie-Downer sort of attitude. But I think it's important to point out where American society is inadequate; truly it's looking towards a more positive future. I believe we can make the changes to become a more equal nation.

As for conversations, I think I'll (ironically) reference my great con essay. "The missing piece in most conversations is listening, and through my experience it is the fertilizer that makes any budding conversation grow. With it, ideas may morph, change, and evolve to become something more cohesive than before." Within the context of any conversation there must be active listening; to respond to the opinions around you as well as to let yours change.

As for ideas of freedom, Zinn actually has an opinion extremely close to mine. our vision of society should be from the perspective of the oppressed. It is this bottom-up view that I really do appreciate. Freedom should start from the bottom... hmm, just like Rawls, am I right? It's always important to view that perspective.

The freedom that should be fulfilled is the freedom to achieve the true best of your being. It's the ability to be who you are truly meant to be. It's a similar theological idea to Anne Hutchinson. Through a personal relationship with God you were able to discern His path, in a way. It's this sort of ideology that I really find enjoyable.

1 comment:

  1. I like your post! I liked how you pulled from your greatcon essay and used that information in another class. Nice! Whenever you have some extra time, feel free to let me know how this whole blog thing works. Have a good night!

    ReplyDelete