Tuesday, November 2, 2010

"I never worked harder in my life."

"I never worked harder in my life." said Joshua Wyeth, who published one of the first participant accounts of the Boston Tea Party. "I never worked harder in my life." This phrase really stuck out to me. Out of the entire article, this is what I pulled out.

Revolution's not easy, and it's execution laid in the hands of the people who dumped that tea. It's people that make change, not figureheads or ideas existing on their own. Holton goes through the details of the individual people and how they made their impact. Every action in moving towards the goal of revolution is important. If the populous as a whole wasn't totally engaged in freedom, the revolution would not have happened.

The first example that comes into my head is the argument against vegetarianism. I'm not a vegetarian, but a common argument against it is "Well they're still going to kill the cows even if you don't eat them." That's true, but if more and more people become vegetarian the demmand for cow will go down, and thus less cows will be killed.

See the parallels? Not quite? Let me explain.

One person stands up for a certain cause. Bystander says "You're crazy, you don't have enough followers to do what you're trying to do!". But how will one get followers without speaking out?

No comments:

Post a Comment