Monday, October 24, 2011

Hauntings of Hull House

When I was younger, another small obsession of mine (besides the Titanic) was ghosts. I had a book on Chicago ghosts that I was so enamored with that it ended up in tatters, I read through it so many times. While I was learning about Hull House I read a story in my book about "Satan's Baby". One resident of the settlement home refused to have a picture of the Virgin Mary hanging in his room, saying something along the lines of "I would rather face Satan himself that have that picture hanging in here." I don't know why, but apparently the picture really upset him. And just was his luck, within a few weeks, his wife gave birth to a boy with hooves and horns. Addams would have none of it, so took the baby up to the attic, away from the public. After a baptism didn't work to remove the child's affliction, she locked him away in there. She never looked back. Rumor is, some nights you can see a light coming from the attic, with the glowering face of the satan baby looking down on you from the top windows in his eternal prison.

Spooky, right?

Apparently this story is one not founded in any sort of reality, and Addams became rather upset about it. Though eventually she got over that and used it as a basis for a book, apparently. There are some other stories as well, originating from when the house was used as a Home for the Aging and patients died of natural causes. Charles Hulls' wife was also said to haunt the attic as well, back when the first residents were there. I wonder how her and the baby get along... The one story Addams corroborated was that a front bedroom was haunted. Her and a friend saw a woman in white hanging out near the window there, and later some young girls saw the same woman while they were changing for a show.

This is a nother narrative, with some creepy images as well. Now I'm going to waste the next half hour re-kindling my paranormal obsession.

No comments:

Post a Comment