Monday, October 24, 2011

Years of Hull House

 As a Chicagoan I've been somewhat exposed to Hull House my whole life. It's been a part of my little Chicago History classes from the gradeschool up, and it culminated in a settlement house project my Junior year during AP US History. We were discussing settlement houses as a solution for the immigration problem in the Turn of the Century America. Addams saw the ills which plagued her Chicago neighborhood and attempted to heal them. Our group found a plot of land in Detroit and tried to aid the struggling Teen population with classes, housing, and cultural renewal. Our settlement would also double as a community center, with facilities available for anyone within the area we covered. Excess land was going to be used as a garden to offset food costs and to make an attempt at sustainability. Residents also helped offset costs by having a set of chores to take care of as part of their reduced rent residence. To raise and continue to produce funds, we hoped that Detroit area musicians would all be part of an annual concert whose proceeds would go right to the center. While our arrangement was quite idealistic, it is a good representation of looking at the issues in a community and having a go at fixing them.

I've actually never been to Hull House, but after learning about Addams so many times I've finally realized how she represents a lot of what I want to be as a person. She humbly addressed injustices within her means, the best she could, with a bias not towards the system, but towards the people she was serving. I think I have a new person to say when someone asks who's a person you admire. I'll also definitely be stopping by the house next time I'm in Chicago.

1 comment:

  1. Gosh, We should have let you and the other Chicago natives make the presentations. What was I thinking?

    ReplyDelete