Thursday, April 28, 2011

News Media

I went to Dan Rather's talk in Skoglund today. I have to admit, I found it somewhat difficult to pay attention. Not in any respect because he was dull or uninteresting, but I'm just extremely tired and slightly overwhelmed. In his speech one thing he emphasized was the importance of truth in news media, unbiassed by the owning corporations. He said that true freedom of the press was necessary to create a fully function democratic and free nation. Thus, it is the obligation of reporters to give this information, and our obligation to seek out truth in the news. In essense, freedom of the press is an integral part of the success of our nation?

Sound familiar?

Maybe not. But I couldn't help but thinking about Tocqueville continued reference to the necessity of free press in any budding democracy. Back then it was a necessary ingredient, and Dan Rather (as well as I) believe it still is. But now more than ever, I believe it is under threat. All the major media outlets in our country are run by a handful of corporations that taint the news with their own agenda. News that is reported is sometimes less than quality "news". Now more than ever Americans must intentionally seek out reports that are of importance.

No comments:

Post a Comment