Wednesday, February 8, 2012

The Question You Always Get...

I suppose I don't have to post in my blog anymore... But I'll take that as an invitation to expand as apposed to an order to halt.

On most applications there will be a question asking about a leader you admire and how you try to emulate them. I've been struggling to find my answer for a while now and I think I finally found it in Jane Addams. Take a look at my response here:

After studying her in Amcon, I really came to appreciate Jane Addams. While she is a little bit of an older example, I really admire her ability to put a social justice issue in perspective. She saw immigrants' condition in Chicago near the turn of the century and identified solvable problems. She saw what her means were and directly asserted herself within her own community to match the needs of the population she was observing. She did so succinctly, efficiently, and with an air of constant evolution.
I can only hope to accomplish as much as she did in her lifetime. I see the value in working within your own community though. It is the one you know best, after all, and it is this intimacy that allows you to address its specific needs. When Jane Addams saw that her Chicago neighborhood had no bathhouses while she turned her goal to increasing access to hygiene. I hope that I may be able to understand my community well. My draw to understand this communities obstacles lead me to joining Northfield Community Scholars. As I explore the struggles minority populations face in school through tutoring at TORCH for this program I hope I may intricately know one aspect. Beyond that, simply knowing the value of personal perspective will be important for any service I do.
My difference stems from a broader vision, though. Through any work I do I hope to reach for the deeper issue. I hope that any work I do reaches beyond the current moment and pushes for fixing the greater problem that Addams really had no direct interest in fixing. Not to say she didn't want to correct wrongs, but she recognized the importance of work here and now, where as I appreciate service speaking towards a broader truth.
I couldn't have done it without amcon.

1 comment:

  1. Enich,
    Hurray! I love that you take the freedom from compulsion as an invitation to expansion!
    I also am interested in this comment on Adams. I wonder if you are selling her a bit short. An early leader in world peace movement does not seem to ignore the long-term in favor of focus on the immediate.
    LDL

    ReplyDelete