Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Praise!

Martin Espada's Alabanza really struck a chord with me. I don't know if it's my lack of sleep, but something about this poem made me really emotional. It probably has to do with the oral interpretation of the poem coupled with the public response, but the emotions flowing his performance really struck at some of the fundamental issues of people, and in particular, immigrants.

Petra's last blog talked about service, and how the help that we're doing may not seem like it makes a difference. I am guilty of inflating my own ego in a position of service. There was a project aptly titled "The Compassion Project" which sought to actively develop the compassionate response to the needs and pains of others. Similarly to Brooks' poem that Petra mentioned, this poem humanizes the "aliens" we frequently push off to the side. "Alabanza" means praise in Spanish, and this poem is praising the 43 employees of the Workers of the World restaurant who were killed on 9/11. They are amongst the casualties, and are a foundation through which our society is built (though delving into that is for another day...). I'm interested in the evolution that occurred in this poem though, like I was interested in a song in the front yard. It starts with the plight of the Latino, always as a worker and a fighter. Its this proud spirit that is being praised, from the beginning to the end.

1 comment:

  1. I loved this poem too - especially the last stanza. & I especially love how you put into words the spirit of this poem 'proud spirit being praised, from beginning to end.'
    Thanks for being honest & reminding me to not give up hope - but remember to be compassionate.

    ReplyDelete