Sunday, September 18, 2011

Schindler's List and Ethnicity

As part of Cantorei's reatreat this Saturday, Pferg thought it would be a good idea for us to watch Schindler's list together. I had never seen the American cinematic epoc before; I nearly cried three times during the movie (which is a big deal for me); Its black and white frames matched its macabre feeling so well; It was one of the most beautiful movies I've ever seen.
But this movie goes far beyond a piece of art. It is a powerful statement on... well, many ideas. That's the monster that is the Holocaust. Through this we see the manipulation of power, the emotions in a circumstance of suffering, and the effects of the will of a man with much at his disposal.

What I would like to address though is the Holocaust. I cannot wrap my head around what a scar that event is on the history of humanity. I do not know if we can ever learn enough from what occurred to prevent it again-though I hope we can. What I can point out is the despicable reasoning the massacre was justified: ethnicity. Yes, there were other groups (homosexuals, mentally disabled) but primarily this was an ethnic cleansing. The article placed heavy emphasis on social communities forming ethnicity, and religion is a strong tie for social communities. These were people who created traditions in their relative communities, and the Nazies came in and destryoed it all. How can someone justify killing off entire ethnic groups? Many have done it; there are lesser known genocides that have occurred in Kosovo,  Rwanda, arguably Syria could be included now. What drives one ethnic group to kill another one? This is something to explore in another class.

1 comment:

  1. Enich, yes, those are incredibly important questions. And, I think they should be linked to their opposites. What prevents groups and individuals from being drawn into such destruction? What allows some to oppose it? LDL

    ReplyDelete