Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Creativity

I've been thinking a lot about creativity recently. When we were younger, creativity was measured in how expansive you could make your games, or how intricate the magic powers of the dragon you were drawing were. Over time, adults claim that individuals loose their creativity. I'm not sure what causes the loss- maybe it's the stigma that comes with yelling about goblins at the top of your lungs in a park. Maybe they get wrapped up in the details and monotony of their life and don't leave the time to let their mind wander anymore.
There are grown-ups that manage to keep their creativity. Generally we think of them as artists, the ones who paint inspiring pictures or hatch fantastic dramas; the people who need to be innovative in order to catch attentions and make a living. But hold on a second... Isn't innovation a necessity in any career? The doctor that matches the symptoms to a disease no one else could come up with is rewarded with a healed patient. The educator who finds a new way to understand a child's comprehension can overcome the obstacle of confusion. No, I don't think successful adults loose creativity. I think they change it. They no longer fight the goblins in the park but fight the goblins of their professions. It's all about maturing the innocence of imagination into a being that fits within the context of one's own life.
I hope I may approach whatever I do with the expansive mind of a kid every day.

1 comment:

  1. Enich, I fully agree in believing that adults do not lose their creativity as they get older. I think that the creativity becomes more structured as we are older, but the basic idea of tapping into one's creativity is still there. As you said, creativity is shown in a wide variety of forms. When someone becomes older, I think they are able to learn how to harness their creativity better.

    ReplyDelete